HAYMARKET COMMUNITY UPDATES – Tuesday, May 17, 2022
There continues to be much going on in the life of our community!
– Girls on the Run is an international organization supporting girls of all abilities embracing inner strength and making meaningful connections with others. Here is a link to the organization’s website – https://www.girlsontherun.
org/. Similar to Boy Scouts of America or Girl Scouts, local chapters exist all over the country. The local chapter of Girls on the Run has been using the HBC parking lot since mid-March for their practices, which take place Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 4:30 – 5:45. The students, ages 3rd grade to 5th grade, learn about empathy, compassion, and perseverance, among other values, each week before completing some running in preparation for a 5K. They are running the 5K this Saturday at Dulles Town Center, marking the end of their Spring season. Be cheering the girls on in your hearts this week as they hope to run well!
– In addition, the Girls on the Run chapter completed a Community Impact Project by working in the beds in the HBC parking lot. They removed a dead tree and replaced it with a new tree, added some flowers, and spread mulch in several beds. Ed and Ellen Plagata, who so faithfully support the landscaping around the church, oversaw the work. It really does look wonderful. The project was completed this afternoon, so take a look at the fresh mulch next time you are in the parking lot!
– Thank you to so many who have been volunteering at Boxes of Basics. I hope it has been fulfilling to support so many children in our community.
– Recall that Carried to Full Term supports pregnant women in crisis and is right down the street in Haymarket. Emily Eccker is the volunteer coordinator and she continues to seek baby sitting support for the mothers as they look to establish job positions to financially support their families. If you happy to know anyone who is interested in helping these women, please contact Emily Eccker by email – email@example.com.
– Thank you to those who could attend the tour of Rainbow Riding on Saturday, May 7. And, remember that they will be hosting a Fun Show and Open House on Saturday, May 21 (this Saturday) from 9 AM – 1 PM. I hope you will consider stopping by to see the students and the horses in action! Here is a link to the event page on the Rainbow Riding website – https://www.rainbowriding.
– I had mentioned before about the Community Garden which has been built in the park, near the playground on the other side of the park from the church. The dedication event has been rescheduled for this Saturday, May 21, 10 AM – 12 Noon.
– There are also plenty of ways to serve within our own church. The Nominating Committee is sponsoring a Fellowship Volunteer Fair on Sunday, May 15 and Sunday, May 22. Come and learn about how you can be involved in the life of HBC!
– The Outreach Committee is sponsoring a Movie Matinee on Saturday, June 11 at 2 PM of the movie “Jonah” by Sight and Sound Theater. Please take a ticket, and I hope you will share a ticket with a friend or neighbor who might like the show. It is a wonderful tool to invite someone to come to our church for an event.
– Of course, the Outreach Committee is also sponsoring a trip to Sight and Sound Theater for “David” on Monday, October 10. Save that date!
– Please remember that a member of the congregation is in need of meals. The online sign-up is here if you need it again – https://takethemameal.com/
As always, I am sure that much has been forgotten. Remember, wherever you go, you are called to share the grace and peace of the risen Christ with all. I hope you have a blessed week. Opportunities abound!
Grace and Peace,
Associate Pastor of Community Outreach
Haymarket Baptist Church